2020-21 Executive Board
- Mother of three children, one at Churchill, one at Cabin John, and one at Seven Locks.
- We have been in the Churchill cluster for 8 years and I have volunteered in numerous roles inside the classrooms, on field trips, Girl Scout leader, and as a Cluster Coordinator for the Churchill Cluster.
- This is my second year as President of the PTSA. Previously, I was one of the VP’s leading such efforts as after school activities and the SchoolKidz Supply drive.
- My professional career has been spent working for and with Congress and the Executive Branch on a variety of issues.
- I am looking forward to continuing the work with Cabin John and the school community to create opportunities for students and the school, share information, and become involved in a number of school efforts.
1st Vice President
- Father of two boys: Lucca (7th grade at Cabin John) and David (10th grade at Wootton)
- We enjoy volunteering in various community and school events – Terps Against Hunger, field trips, Outdoor Ed, International Night, AFS and pretty much any activity involving our two boys
- My professional career has been spent at Verizon, where I have worked for the past 20 years in various roles in management on the wireline and network side of the business
- I’m excited about supporting the Cabin John school community in my new role on the PTSA
2nd Vice President
- I have five children: Kendall (7th Grade) and Warner (6th Grade) at Cabin John, Tripp (7th Grade) and Anna (4th Grade) in the Heyfield Virginia School District and Bennett (16 months).
- Over the years, I have had the pleasure of volunteering as room parent, a chaperone on various field trips, and participating during the yearly school book sale.
- My professional career has been spent working for various government agencies. Since 2005, I have worked at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration/National Weather Service.
- While the five kids and full-time job keep me busy, I truly believe staying involved in my children’s school and various activities is so important for them and the community in which they belong. I am excited to participate on the PTA and join the wonderful team at Cabin John!
- Mother of two lovely girl’s, one at Stone Mill ES, and one at Cabin John.
- We have been in the Wootton cluster for 7 years and both me and my husband have volunteered in numerous roles inside the classrooms, on field trips, and supporting events.
- I also volunteer outside of the school as a teacher for the American Chinese School.
- My professional career has been spent in financial and technology governance within the defense industry, and I have been with Lockheed Martin since 2014.
- It’s important to me to be involved in my girl’s schools, and I am excited to support Cabin John.
Geeta de Silva
- Mother of two boys, one at Cabin John and one at Seven Locks.
- We have been in the area for two years, having moved from North Carolina. Before NC, we lived in New Jersey and New York City for several years.
- For the past year, I was Co-Chair of the Community Service Committee at Seven Locks. I also volunteered for various events including the Fall Festival, Book Fair, Spelling Bee and Geography Bee, and served as a Room Parent.
- My professional career has been focused on finance for educational institutions and the pharmaceutical industry.
- I am excited to get to know the Cabin John school community and hope to contribute in meaningful ways to make our time there together a great experience for students, staff and families.
COMMITTEE or POSITION
After School Activities
Plan, organize, market special after school programs
Organize book fair: negotiate contract, volunteers -One book fair planned for 2020-21
PTSA bylaws are up for revision in spring 2018
Churchill Cluster Coordinator
Coordinate with Churchill cluster; MCCPTA position
Community Service Days
Organize community service (SSL) volunteer days for CJMS students, staff and families
Coordinates all announcements and posts them to the PTSA website through an intuitive WordPress editor. All posts will get disseminated automatically as a weekly email to subscribers. Maintains the events listings on the PTSA website calendar. Web skills NOT necessary. Training provided if requested. Help post upcoming events and articles of interest to our community on the CJMS FB page
Coordinate production of Student Directory
Advocate for GT issues.
Beatriz Engel, Qing Yu
Organize CJMS International Night – celebration of cultures!
First Lego League
Parent run activity
Liaison between PTSA, CJMS, and NAACP Parents’ council
Need 3 volunteers to start work in February 2021
3 volunteers to help vet a board for the upcoming year
Odyssey of the Mind school coordinator
Liaison between Odyssey of the Mind and school, coordinating teacher(s), students and materials for competition
Organize membership campaign (starts Aug)
Cheryl Katz, Amy Stolker
Arrange the three grade-level Principal’s Teas
Reflections Art Contest
Promote, oversee and coordinate Reflections Art program; well suited to an “artsy” volunteer
Restaurant Night Spirit Night
Organize, promote and run 2-3 local restaurant spirit nights
Liaison with MCPS and CJMS for concerns over school safety
School Supply Kit Fundraiser
Manage School Supply Kit fundraiser
School Store Chair
Manage store inventory and coordinate volunteers
Arrange for speakers for the PTSA meetings
Special Community Liaison
Work with counseling office to coordinate school supply drives, coat drives, etc.
Special Needs Liaison
Keep PTSA members informed of important items for our Special Needs community
Staff Appreciation Week
Coordinate and run Teacher Appreciation Week for CJMS staff in May
Staff Breakfast for Back to School
Coordinate and run event the day before school starts
Staff/Teacher cookie buffet
Plan and organize event for teachers and staff in December
Liaison between SGA and PTSA
Keep list of and reach out to members of the community who can help with events
Matthew Barlow, SSL Volunteer, SSL Volunteer
Maintain and update the CJMS PTSA website
Back to School Picnic/Social
**Need for 2021**
Organize back to school event in early September
Coordinate with Wootton cluster; MCCPTA position