2018-19 Executive Board
President Dominic Benford
- Father to twins Audrey and Harrison, who are rising eigth graders
- Over the course of six years at BMES and two years at CJMS, he has enjoyed many volunteering opportunities in the classroom and with students outside of school.
- For the past several years, he and his wife Trudi have led the Bells Mill and then Cabin John Odyssey of the Mind program, and coached a team that has been to World Finals three times.
- Dominic was PTSA President last year, as well as one of the Vice Presidents for the 2016-17 PTSA.
- Dominic’s professional background is as an astrophysicist for NASA.
- He and his family are looking forward to continuing and expanding their role in the CJMS community.
1st Vice President Nicole Diresta
- I have three children, two will be in Cabin John this school year, Andrew in 8th grade and Rachel in 6th grade.
- We have been in the Churchill cluster for 6 years and I have volunteered in numerous roles inside the classrooms, on field trips, Girl Scout leader, and as a Cluster Coordinator for the Churchill Cluster.
- My professional career has been spent working for and with Congress and the Executive Branch on a variety of issues.
- I am looking forward to working with Cabin John and the school community to share information, create opportunities for students like after school activities, and become more involved with other school efforts.
2nd Vice President Eve Pincus
- Mother to Jared, a rising 6th grader and Jessica, a rising 10th grader at Wootton (as well as daughter Aden and stepdaughters Jamie and Alexis who have all moved on from MCPS)
- We are new to the CJMS/Wootton family, having moved to the Stone Mill ES area from Boyds
- For the past several years, I have supported the Spark Matsunaga PTSA (Correspondence Secretary) and Kingsview Middle School PTSA (Principal’s Teas chair)
- My professional background is as a sales professional to State and Local Government for Microsoft.
- I believe that volunteering and engagement in our children’s schools shows our children that we value education, and that we all have something of value to share back with our community
Treasurer Laleh Sarkeshik
Secretary Elizabeth Whitman
- My husband and I have lived in the CJMS attendance area for 17 years.
- Our son is an 8th grader at CJMS, having attended both Bells Mill and Cold Spring Elementary Schools. His older sister attended Bells Mill Elementary School and is a graduate of Wootton High School and University of Maryland—College Park.
- This is my second term as Secretary of the CJMS PTSA. I previously held committee chair positions with the Bells Mill and Cold Spring Elementary School PTAs. I also have more than 20 years of nonprofit board experience for organizations focusing on mental health and developmental disabilities, recreation, senior citizens, and legal aid, including most recently, serving as Secretary for Inverness Recreation Club.
- I am the daughter, daughter-in-law, and sister-in-law of former public school teachers.
- Currently, I am a business and commercial real estate attorney. However, in addition to my J.D. and LL.M. law degrees, I have a BFA in violin performance.
- Although I have particular interests in gifted and music education, I believe that a goal of public education should be to help all children explore and discover their individual gifts and to support development of those gifts so that every child can thrive.
2018-19 MCCPTA Delegates
- Lang Lin
- Prashila Dullabh
COMMITTEE or POSITION
After School Activities
Plan, organize, market special after school programs
Organize school-wide book sale
Not needed this year
PTSA bylaws are up for revision in spring 2018
Community Service Days
Organize community service days for CJMS students, staff and families
Cougar Clips and Cougar Calendar
Coordinate all announcements and post them to the PTSA website through an in intuitive WordPress editor. All posts will get disseminated automatically as a weekly email to subscribers. Maintains the events listings on the PTSA website calendar. Web skills NOT necessary. Training provided if requested.
Coordinate production of Student Directory
Direct Donations Chair
Help us secure direct donations from the community
8th Grade Career Lunches
Organize Career Day, showcasing career options for students
Mandy Lemar, Lang Lin
Advocate for GT issues.
Grocery Card Fundraising
Coordinate the promotion and maintenance of online fundraising efforts such as Giant, Target, Harris Teeter, etc.
Beatriz & Chris Engel
Coordinate annual event that celebrates the cultural diversity of our school community by managing volunteers who present ethnic food tastings, cultural performances, activities and artifacts from all around the world
*OPEN, *OPEN*, *OPEN*
3 volunteers to help vet a board for the upcoming year
Odyssey of the Mind school coordinator
Liaison between Odyssey of the Mind and school, coordinating teacher(s), students and materials for competition
Organize membership campaign (starts Aug). Keep parents/students informed via flyers and electronic communication. Maintain an accurate list of all PTSA memberships.
Model United Nations (Model UN)
Arrange the three grade-level Principal’s Teas.
PTSA Membership Liaison
Keep parents/students informed via flyers and electronic communication. Maintain an accurate list of all PTSA memberships.
PTSA Window Box Design and Maintenance
Design and maintain the PTSA window box. Best suited for an “artsy” volunteer.
Reflections Art Contest
Promote, oversee and coordinate Reflections Art program
Restaurant Night Spirit Night
Organize, promote and run 2-3 local restaurant spirit nights
Social Media Chair
Help post upcoming events and articles of interest to our community on the CJMS FB page
Arrange for speakers for the PTSA meetings
Special Community Liaison
Work with counseling office to coordinate school supply drives, coat drives, etc.
Special Needs Liaison
Keep PTSA members informed of important items for our Special Needs community
Staff Appreciation Week
Coordinate and run Teacher Appreciation Week for CJMS staff in May
Staff Breakfast for Back to School
Coordinate and run event the day before school starts
Staff/Teacher cookie buffet
Jana Safra, Nicole Goldberg
Plan and organize event for teachers and staff
Liaison between SGA and PTSA
Keep list of and reach out to members of the community who can help with events
Bess Siegal, SSL Volunteer, SSL Volunteer
Maintain and update the CJMS PTSA website
Welcome to Middle School Picnic
Reem Najaar, *OPEN*
Organize back to school event
8th Grade Year End Gift