2017-18 Executive Board
President Dominic Benford
- Father to twins Audrey and Harrison, who are rising seventh graders
- Over the course of six years at BMES and one year at CJMS, he has enjoyed many volunteering opportunities in the classroom and with students outside of school.
- For the past several years, he and his wife Trudi have led the Bells Mill and then Cabin John Odyssey of the Mind program, and coached a team that has been to World Finals three times.
- Dominic was one of the Vice Presidents of the 2016-17 CJMS PTSA.
- Dominic’s professional background is as an astrophysicist for NASA.
- He and his family are looking forward to continuing and expanding their role in the CJMS community.
1st Vice President Simona Alfonsi
She lived for several years abroad, she earned the Associate in Business and Spanish in Cambridge (UK), and lived in Spain for one year to study Spanish as an interpreter, and deepen her studies in literature, and business. She taught for several years in the Elementary Schools in Rome (Italy) where she earned her Master in Education.
She travelled a lot, has a significant International experience, married Max De Angelis in 2005. They then moved to the USA in 2009. Mother of three boys: Giovanni “Gio” 6th grader at CJMS, Pietro 4th grader, and Emanuele 1st grader at Cold Spring ES.
Since she arrived in USA, she enjoyed volunteering in the Montgomery County Schools…she is full of energy, and initiative, she is a great cook.
Currently working as interpreter, and substitute teaching assistant for Montgomery County Public Schools.
“A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation.” (Cicero)
2nd Vice President Ira Gluck
- Grew up in a family of educators (mother used to teach math at CJMS, father adjunct professor, sister teacher at Pyle)
- Father of three children that are/have/do attend CJMS (graduate of Churchill, 10th grader at Mclean, 7th grader at CJMS)
- Spent 9+ years coaching his children’s various basketball teams and now back on the ice coaching hockey.
- After working in the educational sector and spending past 20+ years focused on digital product development, started his own edtech business because he is passionate about improving educational outcomes.
- Believes STEM is critical — volunteered as a judge for area FLL tournament and hope to see plethora of STEM based activities @CJMS
- Issue of children with Learning differences is personal to him and another focus area
- Spent the last year as a VP and member of the CJMS PTSA board.
Treasurer Cecilia Maggi
Hello Cabin John community! My name is Cecilia Maggi and I am the new PTSA Treasurer.
I was born in Buenos Aires / Argentina where I also met my husband. Together we have travelled quite a bit as my husband’s career took us to different countries in Europe. We are parents to three very active boys, all of them attending schools in the Wootton cluster. I enjoy getting involved in the school’s life and over the past six years I have contributed in different positions as PTA treasurer, parent coordinator of green programs, fundraiser, and room parent. And…yes, you are right, I never get bored!
Professionally, I am an independent financial and environmental consultant. I worked for different global banks financing private and public projects in Latin America. My academic background includes CPA and post graduate studies in environmental sciences.
I am honored to be part of the Cabin John PTSA board as the treasurer. Our main goal is to support you, students, teachers, and parents as much as we can, so please help us have a great year! We need you and, of course, we want to hear about you…EVERY voice is important and ALWAYS makes the difference. See you all around! Go COUGARS!
Secretary Elizabeth Whitman
My husband and I have lived in the Cabin John attendance area for more than 15 years. Our son is a 7th grader at CJMS, having attended both Bells Mill and Cold Spring Elementary Schools, and his older sister attended Bells Mill and is a graduate of Wootton High School and University of Maryland—College Park.
In to being Secretary of the CJMS PTSA, I also am Secretary and a six-year Board member of Inverness Recreation Club, as well as a Certified Official for Montgomery County Swim League. In my “day job” I am a corporate and commercial real estate attorney.
Some little-known facts about me:
- I met my husband in a third-grade gifted classroom, and we were co-valedictorians of our high school class
- In addition to my JD and LL.M. law degrees, I have a BFA in violin performance
- I have worked as a violin teacher, free-lance musician, administrative law judge, and night newspaper production assistant
- Education is in our family’s blood – I am the daughter, daughter-in-law, and sister-in-law of public school teachers
With this background, my particular interests are gifted education and music education. However, I also firmly believe that a goal of public education should be to help all children explore and discover their individual gifts and to support development of those gifts to that every child can thrive.
2017-18 MCCPTA Delegates
- Lang Lin
- Prashila Dullabh